How can I get rid of a misdeamnor on my record? 2 Answers as of June 02, 2011

My dream internship was rescinded because my sophomore year of college I used a fake ID in Florida on Springbreak. I was still let in the club just given a ticket with fines to pay. I had no idea it would show up in a background check since there was no conviction or arrest, only charges. Where and how can I get hired with a real company now? I am getting the records sealed but it takes 4 to 6 months and I am out a job for the summer. I was offered 3 jobs and now have none. I am a completely competent person, still hired at a local ice rink and working there part time with children. If I apply to a big company will I never be able to apply again if I come forward with my record? What are my options?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick | Karen Kilpatrick
If the charges were dismissed, then you would expunge the record, not seal it. It's definitely a tough time to find a job with a record, but my advice is to 1. be honest. They will find out anyway on a background check, and if you disclose up front, you can mitigate the consequences and at least give yourself the opportunity to be heard. Are you using an attorney to help you? If so, get a letter indicating that the record will be expunged and removed from your record. This, I have found, helps a lot during the waiting period before your record is actually expunged. When it is expunged, you can lawfully say you've never been arrested and it won't show up on background checks. So hang in there - you'll be clear of this soon. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me directly.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: