How can I get a retail theft expunged off my background? 3 Answers as of September 09, 2011

How can I get a retail theft expunged off my background? That was my first time being arrested and I got an ibond and I was given 30 hours of community service, 1 year probation but I didn't finish paying my court fees yet. This is stopping me from getting a job.

Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law
Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law | Glenn M. Sowa
If probation was your sentence, you are ineligible for an expungement. In order to qualify for an expungement the case must have been dismissed, SOL," Nolle pross'ed", not guilty, or satisfactorily terminated from court supervision. These dispositions do not enter on your permanent record, and the arrest and court files can be destroyed pursuant to an expungement. Probation is not a disposition that qualifies for this procedure. Your only recourse is to apply for a pardon with the governor's office and ask that the pardon include the right of expungement, or you may qualify to have the record "sealed". It's best to consult an experienced attorney to see if you qualify for these procedures.
In Illinois, this offense is not expungeable. However, if by "probation" you mean supervision, then you can get this expunged. You must wait a period of time after the termination of the supervision. See the Clerk of Court in the county where you has the case held. They should be able to provide you with the forms and instructions for getting your expungement.