How can I get out of state child custody visitation? 6 Answers as of June 07, 2011

I am the non custodial parent with joint custody and I moved out of state. I have bought plane tickets from Missouri to California for my 14 yr. old daughter and 8 yr. old son, and now my ex is denying the visitation with the only excuse being she doesn't want them to fly alone. I was denied as well last year, what should I do?

I suggest that you hire an Attorney out here in California and file an Order to Show Cause to obtain a Court Order requiring the visits as you previously agreed. You could probably file on your own from Missouri (have it served here locally) and might be able to arrange to appear telephonically. You mean tickets from California to Missouri, right?
You must go to court to obtain an order to fly and to recoup your expenses.
Komanapalli Massey LLP
Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
Go to court to enforce the visitation order and ask for attorney fees and costs from her. No order? Why not? Go get one! Hire a lawyer there.
You will need to file a motion in Missouri. The best resolution, if you can do it, is to fly out, pick them up and fly back with them. Alternatively, discuss with your ex about having a flight attendant assigned to them on the flight. The attendant checks on them throughout the flight and they can approach him or her directly for assistance.
You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney in the county in which the divorce case is filed, to file an Order to Show Cause to obtain orders from the Court setting forth the "rules" applicable to both parties for your out-of-state visitation, proposing rules that you (and your attorney) feel are reasonable. Upon receiving the Court's orders, you will know what you need to do, and those orders will be binding on your ex-wife.
    File a motion with the court requesting specific orders on travel for the children. The order should include as much detail as possible, such as: dates of travel; method of travel, including un-chaperoned or if chaperoned, then by who; travel cost sharing responsibility and timing or reimbursement, if any; and any and all other details. The more you have spelled out by the order, the less cause for dispute or confusion down the road. Good luck!