How can I get a out of state bench warrant dismissed? 7 Answers as of February 27, 2012

A year ago, I was in chicago. It was my first time, first time in a major city at that. I was on my way to the CTA (subway), I noticed a gentlemen was smoking on his way up the stairs, so naturally I lit a cigarette, once I was on the cta floor, two detectives stopped me. I told them I saw no sign that said no smoking, I was out of town,and had no clue!! I even apologized for my ignorance. I got a ticket, which now is a 500 dollar fine, and a bench warrant. I'm a poor college student, and I don't know what to do.

Toivonen Law Office | John Toivonen
Call the court to see if you can pay the fine without having to appear in court.
J.W.Poprawa, Attorney at Law | Joseph W. Poprawa
You'd have to clear that up with Chicago.
You will have to answer to the original charge and the bench warrant. The bench warrant issued because you did not respond to the original charge. It will not just automatically disappear.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
You should talk to a local lawyer who is admitted to practice law in Illinois. If your situation involved a ticket from a city in Michigan, I'd advise you to get yourself a lawyer and either turn yourself in or pay the fines and costs and hope the judge dismisses the warrant. In Michigan, warrants usually don't expire and will stay on a person's record unless the court decides, after many years, to drop the warrant to clean up some old files.
Call the court and explain the situation they may be able to make a suggestion.
    Dungan, Lady, Kirkpatrick & Dungan PLLC | Michael Dungan
    I would start by contacting the court in Chicago, see if this is something that can be handled through the mail, but that is going to involve you paying the fines and costs.
    The DeRose Lawfirm | Peter J. DeRose
    Bite the bullet and take care of it. Just like the little puppy dog, this will follow you around and whine. The truth is, just when you do not want it popping up-there it will be-like when you are seeking your first job out of college. To any employer, the responsible thing to do is take care of your problems and that is what will impress an employer. It is much easier for you to tell your story and say "hey, I was wrong after all, so I decided to take care of my responsibilities." A Michigan lawyer can help you with this. If you return to the jurisdiction you will subject yourself to immediate arrest. It is going to cost you, but chalk it up as a life lesson learned.