How can I get Negligent Driving 2nd Degree reduced or dropped? 5 Answers as of May 10, 2011

I was driving behind an individual who suddenly slammed no his breaks. I turned to the left across a double yellow line with no traffic in front. When I went to move back into the line the driver clipped my rear and sent me into the ditch. A police officer was behind us and called the state patrol (who wrote us both tickets for negligent driving 2nd degree). Both of us decided to settle the accident out of court and provided no statement. But the state trooper wrote us tickets anyways. Also, the ticket is for $550, but the WA website says rcw 46.61.525 is a $250 fine. There is no other infraction or charge on the ticket.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
The only way to get this done is through the court process. However, you settled out of court. Were the case still in court and you are able to assert and prove your claim, you may possibly get this reduced or dropped, you may also be able to prove excessive fines in violation of RCW 46.61.525 . You may nevertheless contest the ticket with the police department out of court. Please read all rules governing this.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/10/2011
Andersen Law PLLC
Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
If you haven't had any tickets recently, you can defer the Negligent Driving 2 infraction for one year. If you pay the fine and keep your driving record clear the case would be dropped. Apart from that, you would want to read the rules for infractions in the Washington Court Rules and subpoena both cops and hope they no show. That would be grounds for dismissal. Otherwise, you should consider hiring an attorney to represent you and to cross examine the cops. That is a skill you can't download or read in a book.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/9/2011
Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
If you did not drive negligently, you are not guilty of the infraction. You should contest it, and try to fight it.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/9/2011
Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
Thee are technical defenses to some traffic defenses that normally require a lawyer to examine. In our state, may judges will allow a deferred finding in which you pay costs and comply with certain conditions and the case is ultimately dismissed. A motorist is only allowed one deferred finding on a moving violation every seven years. The ticket is not for $250 and you also seem to have a factual defense to your case which will probably require a contested hearing.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/6/2011
Mercado & Hartung
Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
You have the following options: 1) pay the fine (it is the $550) which is not recommended 2) mitigate the ticket (admit wrong doing but ask the court to reduce the will still impact your insurance) 3) defer the ticket (if eligible you pay a $100.00 fine and the ticket does not go on your driving record) 4) contest the ticket (fight it) You must respond to the ticket within 15 days. I recommend you contest the ticket and contact a lawyer for representation. Please call me (free of charge for more information on how to fight this ticket).
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: