How can I get my vehicle out of the impound? 5 Answers as of August 04, 2011

My son was driving with a suspended license. He was pulled over by a police officer and his car was impounded for 30 days. Because there was a controlled substance in the car the police are saying that the car is being impounded for investigation. He was drug tested and was clean..If I get the car registered in my name can I legally get the car out of impound before the 30 days..

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2011
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
No. You need to find what the nature of the impound is. If the car is being held as evidence, you're out of luck. If it's an administrative impound, you might be able to go to court and get a release.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/22/2011
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
The only way you can get the car out if the police decide to do a 30-day impound is request an impound hearing withint 48 hours. As for winning the hearing, you need an attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
By someone showing up with proof they are the registered owner, and proof of current registration and tags, and paying the impound fees at the end of the 30 period required by the law. It will not be released earlier, and may not be then if still held as evidence, or it may be seized as a forfeiture because of involvement in a drug crime. Those rules are intended to be a penalty / punishment. They are. You are just now beginning to understand some of the natural and foreseeable consequences of illegal drug involvement. With all that said, you could try to obtain a court order for early release of the vehicle, by filing an appropriate Motion and having a hearing which would be opposed by the prosecutor. The problem is that it would cost as much to do the motion as the impound fees, and there is no assurance of success on the motion. Even if you won the motion, youd still have to pay the impound fees up to the date of release.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2011
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
If they are holding it for evidence, they can keep it for the duration of the case [and possibly can forfeit it thereafter!]; if they are holding it solely because of the suspended license thing, you can get it back earlier, if you did not know he was driving it on a suspended license.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: