How can I get my son to live with me? 7 Answers as of August 05, 2011

My 16 year old son lives with his mother but he is scared of her. How can I help him get out of that situation?

Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
You must petition the court for a change in custody. At that hearing you can request that minor's counsel be appointed for your son. He will be able to speak with the attorney and the attorney will be his "voice" for the courts. Another option is to request a solution focused evaluation to determine a change of custody.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
Hire a lawyer to make an ex parte appearance to get your som out of the scary situation.
File a motion for a change of custody.
You can take her to court to get an order for him to come and live with you. He can state his preference at his age.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
HE would have to be willing to speak to a court ordered expert or mediator and tell the mediator that he wants to live with you. IF you believe he would be willing to do so, then you should retain an experienced family law firm to file an order to show cause asking the court to transfer physical custody to you. Most 16 year old boys would prefer to live with their dad and the court listens to what a 16 year old would like in most cases.
    You can file a motion with the court requesting a custody modification. Best to call a local family law lawyer to assist. Good luck!