How can I get my rights to my daughter back? 7 Answers as of May 09, 2013

I was 20 at the time and I wanted my daughter to have some good insurance so me and the father signed our rights over to his mother and father in law and I was wondering can I get them back because the arrangement isn't going the way we planned it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Brent R. Chipman
Law Office of Brent R. Chipman | Brent R. Chipman
You should attempt to discuss the matter with the father's mother and her partner to see if they will voluntarily give you back your daughter. If you cannot work things out, your options would depend on what type of transfer of rights you signed. If you signed over temporary custody or guardianship of your daughter you can either terminate the agreement in writing, or you can ask the court to set aside the guardianship. If you consented to an adoption, it will be difficult or impossible to set aside, and you will need to work things out with the adoptive parents the best you can.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 5/9/2013
Did a court give custody of your daughter to your parents or was this an informal arrangement? If it was informal then you may be able to just go and pick up your child.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/9/2013
Correia-Champa & Mailhot
Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
It depends on what you did. If they have guardianship then you can request the court to terminate the guardianship, however, if you gave up your parental rights by signing a voluntary relinquishment of parental rights that will make your situation very difficult if not impossible to change. It depends upon the circumstances. I would seek legal assistance immediately.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 5/9/2013
Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
If they adopted, no. If they have guardianship, you have to petition the court and prove that the reasons you consented no longer exist. Make sure your choice is in your child's best interest rather than yours.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/9/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Maybe. It depends on how you signed the rights over. Did you allow them to adopt your children? If so, you can't get them back. Did you give a power of attorney? If so, you can terminate it. Did you consent to a guardianship? If so, you have to go to court and ask for the guardianship to be removed.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/9/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    I would have to look at the paperwork, orders and situation before rendering an opinion. You need counsel.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar | Mandy J. McKellar
    Depends on how you "signed your rights" if it was a guardianship is can be terminated. If it was a termination that's a bit more difficult. Best thing to do would be to take whatever document you have and consult with an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 5/9/2013
Click to View More Answers: