How can I get my parental rights back after already signing them away? 11 Answers as of September 13, 2012

My children have been in foster care since 2009. I had my last visit on April 1, 2011. They are now going to be adopted out soon. I officially signed my parental rights over last year, but now my situation has changed and I want to fight again.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
Meet with an experienced adoption/juvenile law attorney.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/13/2012
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You will have to revoke the paper you signed giving away your rights.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/12/2012
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
The appeal process has run. The order is final.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/11/2012
Attorney at Law | John P. Rivers
In many jurisdictions assuming that there was no fraud or other situations that would void a properly executed surrender of parental rights, the surrender becomes final unless it is revoked in a specifically stated fashion within the time set by statute. In Georgia that time period is ten days.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/11/2012
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You have probably very little you can do now according to the facts which you have revealed. See an attorney, with all the details, for a firm opinion.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/11/2012
    Diefer Law Group, P.C.
    Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
    You need to hire an attorney to help you fight for the children before they are adopted.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/11/2012
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Do you think you can do this yourself? You are mistaken. Each and every lawyer in this state has a doctorate degree. It is required to become an attorney. You created the situation where the state of Florida determined it was best for your children to terminate your rights, and you agreed. Now, over a year later, you have changed your mind and want to raise the children. You will need an aggressive attorney to even attempt this, but you have no money and want to rely upon the State of Florida to provide you with a doctor of law. Just how solid can the lives of your children be if their care is entrusted to you? Adoption is final, but it can be open. Perhaps the adoption of your children can be arranged so that you have continuing contact and visitation with them. Try for that if you can. You could still have a positive influence on them and not fall back into the situations that brought about the current state of affairs. The goal is for them to be healthy in all respects. Be solid yourself, become more solid, offer wisdom, the wisdom associated with having been in a place where you will never be again. I often say that more than half of knowing where you want to be in life is knowing exactly where you do not want to be. Now go out an make a difference in the lives of others, admit your wrongs and educate others about them so that they will be able to see where they do not want to be. Get involved in foster care and help others in the same position you were in. Things happen for a reason. Figure out the lesson you have learned and spread the knowledge in your community. Try to make sure that you spend meaningful time with your children. You can climb mountains.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 9/11/2012
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    Revoke your consent by filing with the court that you no longer consent to the adoption. Then file for custody.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 9/11/2012
    John Russo | John Russo
    Sorry to tell you this but your chances are not very good. Signing off on your parental rights is the same as pleading in a criminal case, it is just about finite. Unless you can prove that you were incompetent at the time of signing, e.g. you were on medication that effected your thought process, and was not asked that question at the time, or you were induced to sign, by threats , or bribes, something along those lines the courts will not entertain your reopening of the matter.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 9/11/2012
    Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
    You are probably out of luck.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 9/11/2012
Click to View More Answers: