How can I get my money back from them? 2 Answers as of April 21, 2017

My sister, her husband and 2 kids moved in with me in August of 2016. I used my whole social security check for the first 4 months and then starting December, I finally said that I'm not using my whole check for rent and that they need to start paying their part. This month, I gave them $300 for my part of the rent and they aren't paying the rent. They are moving to another state and not giving my money back.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Even if you got a judgment against them, how are you going collect anything when they are in another state and probably have no assets. You could perhaps make it a little more difficult for them to rent elsewhere by getting an eviction judgment which would show up on their credit record. Consider it an expensive lesson on why you keep your own money for yourself. You might be able to deduct it from your taxes as a bad debt.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/21/2017
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
Sounds like you let them stay for free and then changed the terms without their consent. I think you're out of luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2017
Click to View More Answers: