How can I get my misdemeanor expunged? 3 Answers as of July 25, 2011

I am going to attempt having a misdemeanor (I was convicted on)expunged (Assault 3rd) and am interested in learning more about the process. NYC law does not allow any expungements but there has to be a way to get the charge reduced or heard by a higher court.

If you are not convicted yet then you should hire an attorney to try to dismiss it or reduce it or go to trial. if you are already convicted, your attorney can try to get the plea vacated ( if you plead ) or if it was a trial then you can appeal it to a higher court.
New York does not allow a case to be erased from your record. you can make a 440.10 motion to vacate the conviction if there was something illegal or improper about it, but that is rare and an expensive motion that is not often granted unless you have the proper grounds. Even if it is vacated, you will still have to plea or try the case unless the DA dismisses the case. You will still have the arrest on your record, but perhaps a lesser conviction.
Once your time to appeal expires that's it. Except maybe new evidence. I am not optimistic that you will have success.