How can I get my license back if it is suspended for nonpayment of tickets? 8 Answers as of July 18, 2011

My license has been suspended due to nonpayment for tickets I was not aware of till I was arrested on a warrant for driving with a suspended license. The collections agency says I must pay the full amount owed to get it back. I cannot afford to pay them the full amount and I really need my license back. Is there any low-income programs offered to help people like me?

Go the court where the case was heard and try to put it on the court calendar and explain to the judge what the situation is. Perhaps he will allow a payment schedule to get your license back while you are paying the fine.
Put yourself on calendar and see the commissioner.
Typically the DMV will not reissue the license until you have paid all the fees.
No there isn't. But, for your information, what the collection agency says has no bearing on reality; their goal is to get your money, they're not lawyers, and they have no control over what the DMV does.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
When you license gets suspended by the DMV for failure to pay fines, they won't lift the hold and the suspension until the failure to pay is cleared. Either you must pay the entire amount currently due or in some cases, a judge can (potentially) reduce the fines or covert them to community service. Either way, the failure to pay must be cleared before the DMV will release your license.
    Before you got arrested on the new charge, you could pay the tickets or go to court and try to negotiate a reduced price plea bargain. Now? Only by going to court on the new misdemeanor criminal charges, and try to negotiate a plea bargain on the new charges and the old tickets to clear them all. Then, after paying all the fines ordered, you will get a court clearance order to take to DMV. No pay, no license. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Unfortunately no! You have to pay tickets. It is almost impossible to get these matters in front of a judge again.
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin | Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    If a collection agency is involved, I dont know. In my jurisdiction, a person can sometimes put their tickets back on the traffic court calendar to either try to get fines reduced or postponed. Go to your local traffic court.