How can I get my husband to be a legal citizen? 7 Answers as of August 10, 2011

I have been married to my husband for 10 years and we have two children. I know his past girlfriend called the cops and he got domestic accounts on him as well as burglary and trespass all from this repetitive cop caller ex girlfriend. what can we do to get him legal, I have A LOT of health problems and its hard for me to work.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
It depends if you are a US citizen and how he entered the US. The criminal history that you mention may affect his application. You will need to see an experienced immigration attorney to find out the best strategy. Let us know if we can be of further help.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/10/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
The crimes may be waivable, but you need to first determine whether your husband is eligible to apply for permanent residence. The first requirement is a legal entry. If not, then he may still be eligible if he has something called 245i. If you have been married for ten years, he may be able to apply for cancellation of removal since it sounds like he has been here for more than ten years but this is an application filed in deportation proceedings AND the crimes may prevent him from being eligible. This is a complex question so you should see an experienced immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 8/9/2011
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Your husband's chances for becoming legal depend on how he entered the U.S., whether he was actually convicted of "those accounts", and whether you are a U.S. Citizen. You should talk to an experienced immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/9/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
You did not say what is your legal status in the US. If you are a US citizen,and if he entered the US legally, provided he did not have aggravated felony conviction or crime involving moral turpitude, you can petition for him. If he has certain criminal convictions, depending on the exact nature and sentence of his conviction, there may be waiver needed for him to receive green card. In sum, this is complicated and you need to hire immigration attorney to represent your husband.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/8/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
A lot of information is missing for me to assess his case correctly. It sounds very serious though because domestic violence is crime of moral character, which is ground for removal. You should consult a lawyer offline showing him or her all his paperwork for a better assessment. You are welcome to contact us if you are in Florida.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/8/2011
    Verdin Law Firm, LLC
    Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
    He may be eligible for a waiver based on extreme hardship to you.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 8/8/2011
    Julian & Chin LLP
    Julian & Chin LLP | Larry F Chin
    Your husband may be eligible for Cancellation of Removal for Non-Permanent Residents however the criminal issues that you mention are very serious and can be a problem for his case. You need to gather your husband's criminal conviction(s) and speak with a qualified immigration attorney to determine his chances of getting residency.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: