How can I get my gun rights restored? 5 Answers as of June 23, 2011

I was convicted of "misapplication of funds" when working in a bank in Seattle in 1967. I believe this to be the correct date. I would like to have my gun rights restored so I can go hunting in Montana with my cousins. Additionally, my wife, Carol, would like to purchase a pistol but is afraid to do so because it might come back at me. I would also like to clear the record, if that is possible. I am not sure how a felony expungement works, or if I would qualify. If I would qualify I would be interested in this as well. I did get a DUI approximately 33 years ago. I mention this in the event this would have an affect on the above. At that time there was no jail time, just a ticket with a fine.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Andersen Law PLLC
Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
Actually you did a great job of turning your life around. Well done! All you need to do is petition the court where you were convicted of the theft to vacate and dismiss the theft charge. That's step one. Most courts in Washington have pre-printed form packets you can buy for a nominal fee. These packets have all you need for this step plus detailed instructions. Step two would be to petition the court for restoration of your gun rights. Again, there should be a packet of forms at the same court. You will have to pay a filing fee for both step one and step 2 but you will no longer be a convicted felon. As a bonus, you will be able to vote again. After all, you did your time and your debt to society has been paid. Why should you have to live as a convicted felon so far after you paid up? If the court doesn't have the form packets, you can find most of the forms on the Washington State Court's website. If you don't want to hassle with doing it yourself, I'll handle it for a flat fee; however if I have to go to King County to do it, I would charge a bit more. Having lived in Seattle for six long years, I happy to be home in the sticks again.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/23/2011
Law Office of James A Schoenberger
Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
Restoration of the right to posses a firearm is a rather simple process of obtaining a copy of your criminal history and petitioning the court for restoration. A certain amount of time must have elapsed after a criminal conviction, 10 years for a class B felony and 5 years for a class C felony. Expungement is also a petition to the court and is covered by the RCWs. See, also, for more information
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/23/2011
Brian Walker Law Firm, P.C.
Brian Walker Law Firm, P.C. | Brian Walker
Your eligibility for an "expungement" of a felony depends upon the level of the felony, and the number of years during which you have managed to remain "crime free". For example, for a C felony, you must remain out of trouble, and with no new charges, for a period of at least five years following your discharge from probation, or parole, in order to be eligible. From what you have described, it appears that you are likely eligible. As far as your gun rights go, a petition must be filed on your behalf for restoration of those rights. The eligibility requirements are similar, but different in some ways. Both expungement and restoration require petitions filed with the court of record, that is to say, you must be filed in King County superior court.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/23/2011
Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
Relatively easy matter. You have to have your felony convicted vacated and your civil rights restored. In most cases, I can do this for people for under $500.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/23/2011
Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
You need to make a motion and provide a proposed order normally to the same court that entered the sentence. There are certain requirements (such as you have satisfied the conditions of your sentence) to get the conviction vacated and your right to possess a firearm restored. You also may want to consider having applying to have your arrest record expunged.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/22/2011
Click to View More Answers: