How can I get my green card after 10 years of marriage? 2 Answers as of June 02, 2011

Me (legal B1 visa, no criminal record either abroad or here , overstayed ) and my wife(us citizen) got married 10 months ago. Our lawyer filed the application for me 1 month after. I did fingerprinting and got employment card and ssn. 3 months after the application form we got scheduled for an interview. The agent told us that she would look at the case in detail and she needs more time like a month. After a month my lawer calls her and she says that she needs more time. It's been almost 6 month since the interview and still no answer from them. My lowyer in the end of the 6th is going to talk to the supervisor officer to get an explanation of the situation. I am very worried: I just don't understand why the cannot tell us nothing! Does this happen very often, or is just rare! Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
In some cases, an adjudicating officer may determine that more investigation is needed before he/she will grant adjustment. Most of the time, when they suspect a sham marriage, they will hold the approval until about 2 years after the date of the interview. After that 2 years, they must have a decision and if it is a denial, they have to justify it with actual evidence. Under the law, a good faith marriage is one that lasts 2 years or more. It is an arbitrary number picked by Congress, but that is the law. You will eventually get it as matter of right if all the requirements are met; just be patient. That is the only thing that I see here but then again I don't really know anything about you or your wife. I wish you luck though.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/2/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
This happens more often than you would like. Hang in there- it sounds like your attorney is doing what he or she can in terms of inquiries. You can also involved your congressperson or call the DHS 800 number to force an inquiry that way.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: