How can I get my grandson off the deed? 5 Answers as of August 29, 2013

I pay the mortgage and my grandson is on the deed with me. I want to sell and he won't. I am in Michigan.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
You will have to file a partition action in court, which allows any co-owner to force the liquidation of all co-owned interests.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/29/2013
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
You should contact an attorney and discuss possible options to sue for partition of the property. Other potential options might be to buy your grandson out. A partition of the property may result in a court ordering the property sold followed by a split in the proceeds of sale between the two of you.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/29/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
All you can do is buy him out or go to court and ask the court to order a sale.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 8/29/2013
Law Offices of Jeffery L. Fanto
Law Offices of Jeffery L. Fanto | Jeffery L. Fanto
That would depend on how the property is titled. If it is held as joint tenants with full rights of survivorship you may well be out of luck. This way of holding the property means there can no forced sale of the property. If it is held differently, you may be able to force a sale through litigation but you will have to give up part of the proceeds. I am assuming you put him on the deed so that when you pass the property would be his. This type of "estate planning" can be useful but as you can see it has its serious flaws.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/29/2013
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
You need court intervention if he is unwilling to do what you want. Your paying of the mortgage increases his equity each time you make a payment. Where is his incentive to do as you have asked?
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 8/29/2013
Click to View More Answers: