How can I get my DUI reduced? 53 Answers as of June 16, 2011

Is there a way to minimize the consequences of my DUI charge?

I would need a lot more detailed information to see if you have a chance of getting a reduction of the charge such as how old were you at time of offense, do you have a prior record, exactly what are the charges ( there are different degrees of severity of DUI or DWI. You should hire an attorney.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
Yes, you can get a DUI charge reduced to a "wet" reckless driving sometimes. For more information, please see my website or call me for a legal consultation.
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
My strategy with my clients is to prepare a defense based on the particular facts of each case and to prepare in such a manner so that we are completely prepared to fight all the way through trial. I then use the defense to pressure the prosecutor (who is oftentimes young, inexperienced, and nervous about going to trial against a more experienced attorney) into offering us a good deal, such as a reduced charge of reckless driving with alcohol involvement. You should consult with a good DUI attorney asap about the particular facts of your case.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Speaking generally, yes, there is a possibility that anyone charged with a DUI may have their case reduced or dismissed. People charged with an offense are presumed innocent until proven guilty. The prosecutor needs to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. A person charged may not be guilty of any offense. I would recommend consulting with a local criminal defense attorney in your particular area who has experience with these types of cases for specific legal advice. Effective council may have a significant impact in the outcome of your case. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. If you cannot afford to retain an attorney, you may be eligible to have the court appoint an attorney to represent you at public expense. However, availability of court-appointed council depends on your court or state's particular procedures and policies.
Once you have successfully completed probation, you can have the charge expunged. The DUI will still be prior-able if you get another one, but it allows you to go on with your life without being haunted by it forever on background checks.
    You should have your case reviewed by an attorney to see whether the charges can be reduced. The amount of reduction or possibility of reduction will vary. In Michigan, the charge of Operating While Intoxicated is often reduced to a charge of Operating While Impaired. The reduction primarily reduces the license sanctions. I hope that this was helpful.
    Law Offices of Carl Spector
    Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
    In order to get your case properly handled you should interview and retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. The attorney can review the case with you and help you establish an appropriate strategy to defend your case.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    Hiring a criminal defense attorney is your best chance of getting a DUI charge thrown out or reduced to something less.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    The Law Office of Randall S. Woodard
    The Law Office of Randall S. Woodard | Randall Scott Woodard
    In Illinois a DUI is typically "Reduced" by obtaining a disposition of court supervision or a reduction to a lesser offense, typically reckless driving. Court supervision is a disposition that allows the offender to plead guilty but not be convicted. They are on supervision for a period of time and typically have to pay a high fine, be assessed for possible substance issues and comply with a treatment recommendation, even if it is only educational. Of the conditions are satisfied and the offender does not commit any new offenses the charge is dismissed at the end of the supervision period, typically one or two years. If there is a violation of the law or the conditions of the supervision the prosecutor can file a petition asking the Court to vacate the court supervision and enter a conviction for the offense. The violation has to be proved and the Judge has to decide whether it warrants vacating the supervision. If a conviction enters typically a person's license is rev oked.
    In Illinois, it is difficult to get the DUI reduced to a lesser charge. That is entirely within the discretion of the county prosecutor or city corporation counsel. In some cases, they could reduce the DUI to reckless driving. However, in Illinois, there is an order of supervision, which is not a conviction on your record. Discuss with a qualified defense attorney the best way to deal with your case, be it either through motions filed, trial or plea bargaining.
    The Law Firm of Aaron Bortel Esq.
    The Law Firm of Aaron Bortel Esq. | Aaron Bortel
    The first thing you probably need is a good lawyer. This person can evaluate your case and after a full consultation answer all your questions. The facts of your case and the county where you were arrested has a lot to do with whether the DUI arrest can be reduced, dismissed, or if you can win at trial.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    Try to negotiate a reduction in the charges based on the facts of your case.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Obtaining a reduction in a OWI charge is within the discretion of the prosecuting attorney. Prosecutors vary on when they will plea bargan an OWI to an impaired. Most of the time whether a reduction is offered depends on what the person's blood alcohol level was.
    No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. However, effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion program, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be. Keep in mind a little free advice: When you are arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking you were given documents that included a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    There is no guarantee that a prosecutor will ever agree to reduce a DWI to a lesser charge. The best defense is a good offense which means being aggressive by filing motions. Often, a compelling argument on the merits can result in plea offers.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Yes. You need to retain a law firm of our caliber to represent you in defense of the charges.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    It is sometimes possible to get a DUI reduced or dismissed. Usually it does not happen without an experienced lawyer.
    Dui laws are very specific. There are ranges of penalties depending upon how many previous DUIs you have. There are minimum to maximum fines and jail times, as well as probation possibilities. The specific charge you face will dictate how the minimum fines and jail time will be available to you. You should consult with an experienced attorney.
    If you took a breath test and it was under .13 you will be allowed to plead to the violation of Impaired, as opposed to the DWI misdemeanor. If your test was over .13 but under .17 you will still probably get the Impaired conviction at trial if you retain a good DWI lawyer or an experienced criminal lawyer. If it was over .17 you are in big trouble and may be convicted of a DWI. Either way your insurance may increase dramatically and you will lose your license until you get into Drinking and Driving School where you will get a restricted license to go to work or school. You will pay around $500 in fines and if it was your first offense you will not get jail or probation. If you refused the test you will lose your license for 6 months, pay $1250 in total fines or more, and you may have to go to trial. The verdict will depend on how drunk the officer claims you are and how bad your driving was. My fee is $1,000 if you would like a free consultation call me.
    It depends on state. Some states do not have lesser included offenses to dui. Talk to a dui attorney in your state.
    There is no lesser charge to a DUI. You are either guilty or not guilty.Sometimes, if the facts of the case merit consideration, some courts will allow a deferred prosecution resolution on a DUI case where if you complete all other requirements of the Court you will not be adjudged guilty of a DUI and you have no record of a conviction.
    Most prosecutors will offer you a reduced charge, especially if it's your first or second offense. If the stop or DATA Master results, for example, are questionable, that can persuade the prosecutor to reduce the charges lower than they normally would. Make sure you retain an experienced DUI attorney to represent you, or at least have one review the police report and chemical test results.
    Sharifi & Baron
    Sharifi & Baron | S. Yossof Sharifi
    The best way is to hire a good DUI lawyer if you are in Utah. We have at five law firms in the state that I would consider good DUI firms and I would do your homework and choose one. DUI's are scientific and technical and many criminal attorneys are not trained to handle them properly.
    The way you get a DUI reduced is by getting an attorney to explore all the possible errors and the individual facts that make up your case.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    Your best option would be to hire an attorney who will work with the specific details of your case to attempt to negotiate reduced charges and/or sentencing with prosecutors. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
    It depends on the evidence in your case and where you are located. You need to consult with a defense attorney in your area.
    The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky
    The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky | Mark Kotlarsky
    Yes, hire a lawyer who knows what he is doing.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    There is but you would need to hire a lawyer. Whether it is possible in your case would depend on the facts.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    The only way to reduce dwi is to win in court, there are mandatory minimums. Alternatively, if you have a good lawyer that raises serious issues state can drop dwi and may do so rather than risk losing. Contact a dwi lawyer
    The answer to your question depends upon the facts of the particular case. Here, in the past, I have seen some DUIs reduced to a lesser charge, but again, it depends upon the facts, e.g. the blood-alcohol level, and it is important that you retain an experienced criminal lawyer to help you with all your rights and options. Good luck!
    Yes, it is possible to get DUI charges dismissed and reduced. I would need to hear more about your case to give you my opinion of how strong your case may be. Feel free to contact me through my website for additional info about DUI charges and some successful case results and testimonials from former satisfied clients.
    The best way is to attain an acquittal for absolute minimization. If you did not blow or had a low BAC, you may also avoid conviction through deferred prosecution. There are ways.
    Yes, hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer local to the court in which you are charged. He/she will know the Assistant District Attorneys better and know how to defend you to get you the best reduction. Good luck.
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
    Obviously you need to hire an attorney to represent you on a charge of DUI.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    Seek diversion, which leads to a dismissal if you complete treatment. If you don't qualify, then doing treatment anyway may reduce your sentence, but there isn't much. Talk to an attorney.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    Find a good lawyer! If he or she can't figure out a way to get you off on the charge, then part of being a criminal defense lawyer is to know how to talk a judge into giving you the most lenient sentence possible under the circumstances. Most states have DUII laws that call for mandatory sentences at least in certain circumstances, a good DUII attorney will be familiar with these statutes and will know the right arguments to make to the judge.
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
    It's very important to hire an attorney experienced in DUI cases. Feel feel to call me to discuss further.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    An experienced attorney can thoroughly review the police report to find flaws in the investigation. These flaws can then be used to negotiate the best outcome possible.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    Do a motion to suppress the evidence. Make the prosecutor work!
    Mercado & Hartung
    Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
    The best way to have your DUI reduced (which will minimize the consequence) is to hire a skilled DUI defense to advocate for you. DUI defense is a complicated convoluted area of law so it is best to have someone who does this for a living and is trained in this type of defense on your side. Please feel free to give me a call for more information.
    San Diego DUI Law Center
    San Diego DUI Law Center | Rick Mueller
    Yes. Through a California DUI Lawyers Association Specialist.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    In Colorado on a DUI itself. You may be able to plead to another charge depending upon your BAC (blood alcohol content) level. You should consult an attorney as to the specifics of your case.
    There are several questions that have to be answered in order to properly answer you question. Is this your first offense? How much had you drunk? Was anyone injured? Was there any property damage? With more facts your question could be answered.
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC | Raymond J. Dague
    In New York it is called DWI. We often get a misdemeanor DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) reduced down to a DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired) which is a violation. DWI will give you a criminal record, while DWAI will not. So it is very important to get this reduction. It takes some work, but this sort of reduction can often be accomplished.
    Law Office of Mark A. Chmelewski, PS
    Law Office of Mark A. Chmelewski, PS | Mark A. Chmelewski
    Hire an attorney to protect and defend your interests.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You really must hire a lawyer to represent you when you are charged with DUI or DWI. The consequences of a conviction are far and long reaching. There may be a possibility of getting a reduction to some other type of offense (such as obstruction of a highway), but generally this is done based on the facts and circumstances of the offense, as well as the criminal history of the accused. It is always better to have a lawyer talk for you than to try to argue for yourself as to why you would deserve a reduction.
    Brian Walker Law Firm, P.C.
    Brian Walker Law Firm, P.C. | Brian Walker
    The opportunity to reduce the effects of a DUI charge vary greatly from state to state and from county to county. I practice in Washington state and Oregon and routinely in about five different counties in each state. The policy among the different prosecuting departments varies widely and changes often. In general, however, your chances of a beneficial modification of the charge will depend upon the severity of your case, whether you have had prior DUIs, and whether the case is in Washington state or Oregon. This is to name just a few different factors. Feel free to call me if you wish to discuss this any further.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney