How can I get my deposit back from the landlord? 8 Answers as of April 28, 2015

If my old landlord has not returned my full deposit or given me an itemized list of damages, what can I do to get my deposit back? Can he keep on sending me new invoices for new painting/carpeting for the new tenants?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
The landlord must give you an itemized list of damages with costs or return your deposit within 30 days. Check out the Michigan Landlord Tenant Handbook its available for free to download from
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/28/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
He has to send you within 21 days of your vacating a list of what he is deducting and for what reason. Send him a letter pointing that out and giving him 5 days to refund your money or you will go to small Claims Court. If the painting is needed just because of the normal wear from your having lived there [or because a new tenant demanded it be repainted] you would not be responsible even if the landlord sent you the list within 21 days.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/24/2015
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
If he has not provided an itemized accounting within 30 days sue him. Under NJ's Rent security act, you would be entitled to double damages and attorney's fees.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 4/23/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
I need details, but it is clear he is making some claim for damages.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/23/2015
Ksicinski | Paul Ksicinski
You need to retain a lawyer because more than likely your landlord will have an attorney and you do not know the rules of court like an attorney. May sound unfair but it is true of any other game you play. After all, when you go into ER to fix a broken bone you do not assume you are going to do it yourself because you know your bone is broken.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 4/23/2015
    Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
    You can sue for triple damages.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/23/2015
    James G. Dibbini & Associates, P.C.
    James G. Dibbini & Associates, P.C. | James G. Dibbini, Esq.
    You may want to sue your former landlord in small claims court to get a refund of your security.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/23/2015
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
    The Washington Landlord Tenant Act requires a landlord to refund a deposit or provide an accounting for it within 14-days from the date you move out. If you have not gotten this from the landlord, you can sue for the full deposit back plus your fees and costs incurred. Most often, however, tenants bring small claims suit against their landlord. You should take the bills from the landlord and consult with an attorney representing tenants so that you can address the landlord's claims as well as the deposit issue. Even if you win your deposit back, you might still be liable for any legitimate damages beyond reasonable wear and tear.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/23/2015
Click to View More Answers: