How can I get my criminal record sealed? 3 Answers as of July 15, 2011

I have recently completed a pre-trial diversion program for petty theft. I am planning on starting the process of having my case sealed next month. I have heard that the entire process can take 5-7 months. My sister is getting married in September and I was planning to go to India for her wedding. Will I be allowed to leave the country while m y case is being sealed or will this create a problem?

Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
clerk of court has the paperwork for sealing. it will take that long or longer to seal. if its a misdemeanor its no problem to travel.
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick | Karen Kilpatrick
First, if you completed a pre-trial diversion program your case would have been dismissed, which would make you eligible for expungement (not sealing). Yes, the process is lengthy, and 5-8 months is a good estimate. You will be allowed to leave the country during the expungement process. However, you should really speak with an attorney. Fees are very reasonable (do a quick internet search) and they can manage the entire process for you. There are a number of steps and hoops to jump through, and always easier to get it right the first time.