How can I get my cousin residency? 3 Answers as of March 14, 2011

I have a cousin in Mexico who would like to continue her education. And I thought the best way was to get her residency here in the united states so she can have a better future. Is there any way I can become her legal guardian and get her resident rights. She's 16 and I'm going to be 20 in a few months. Is there a way I can do that and if so what steps would I have to take to get her to become a US resident. And yes her parents are willing to have me be her guardian.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I want to tell you I appreciate your desire to help your cousin. However, your cousin is too old, having already turned 16, and you are too young, under 21. You would have to completely adopt her, which is not going to be possible, nor will it help your cousin. The best alternative is for your cousin to gain admission to university here, and obtain an F-1 visa.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/14/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Sorry that won't work. You however, could apply for a student visa for your cousin and act as her sponsor.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/6/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
If you were to adopt her, you would have to do that before she turns 16, so that's not an option. She could come over under a student visa. Call my office for a free consultation.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: