How can I get my cat back? 5 Answers as of April 16, 2013

I got my cat when I was 16; she was 7 weeks old, just a baby. I’m 21 now, and over the years I have kept up with most veterinary care, including emergency veterinary care. I have put a lot of money into this animal, and I love her dearly. A few months ago, I moved in with a friend into a spare room she had at her apartment. I was paying her weekly; however I was never on the lease. We got into a huge fight, which is another situation in itself. The fight resulted in losing almost all of my personal belongings, including my cat. I was not allowed to enter the apartment after the fight. I have veterinary documents and pictures to prove this is my cat. I have tried contacting the police but because this is a civil matter, they said they can't really do anything, and I would have to pursue her in court.

You have to sue the person for return of the items (including the cat). There are civil suits just for this type of thing.
File a small claim action against your former roommate.
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
You may have to file a civil claim against her. However, I would suggest contacting a civil attorney in your area to discuss your options.
Law Offices of Jonathan Mincis | Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq.,
You will have to sue her in Court for the return of the cat or for payment of it s value. Usually property is a chancery matter, I would consult a civil attorney in Your state and see What they think about the situation.
You will have to bring an action in court seeking return of your personal property, including the cat.