How can I get my cat back? 5 Answers as of April 16, 2013

I got my cat when I was 16; she was 7 weeks old, just a baby. I’m 21 now, and over the years I have kept up with most veterinary care, including emergency veterinary care. I have put a lot of money into this animal, and I love her dearly. A few months ago, I moved in with a friend into a spare room she had at her apartment. I was paying her weekly; however I was never on the lease. We got into a huge fight, which is another situation in itself. The fight resulted in losing almost all of my personal belongings, including my cat. I was not allowed to enter the apartment after the fight. I have veterinary documents and pictures to prove this is my cat. I have tried contacting the police but because this is a civil matter, they said they can't really do anything, and I would have to pursue her in court.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You have to sue the person for return of the items (including the cat). There are civil suits just for this type of thing.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/16/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
File a small claim action against your former roommate.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/16/2013
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
You may have to file a civil claim against her. However, I would suggest contacting a civil attorney in your area to discuss your options.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 4/16/2013
Law Offices of Jonathan Mincis | Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq.,
You will have to sue her in Court for the return of the cat or for payment of it s value. Usually property is a chancery matter, I would consult a civil attorney in Your state and see What they think about the situation.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 4/16/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You will have to bring an action in court seeking return of your personal property, including the cat.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/16/2013
Click to View More Answers: