How can I get my brother to acknowledge me as a co-executor of our mothers will? 3 Answers as of March 23, 2011

I am listed on my mother's will as a potential co-executor if one of my two brother's bows out of the task. One of my brothers is doing just that, but neither one of them will acknowledge that I am to take on the role. They would prefer the one brother do everything himself. Also, since Mom's death, my siblings have taken considerable advantage of me. I was told I had to surrender copies of the keys to the family house (where my daughter and I still live) and that I had to front the money for Mom's funeral (which everyone swears they will repay), as well as numerous falsehoods they are telling people, even the lawyer who had Mom's will (whom they feel is ripping them off by asking for a $5000 probate fee). I don't want to lay claim to anything. The house is over 50 years old and falling apart. I just want to have the truth on my side so I will no longer be taken advantage of. If I am acknowledged as a co-executor, will this hinder my brother's infringement on my personal life, etc? Any advice you can offer would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
You have to look at the terms of the will. It may say that either may act or that upon the resignation of one or both you are to be appointed. Remember that just because a will names you as an executor , you only become the PR or executor once appointed by the court.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/23/2011
Burnham & Associates
Burnham & Associates | Stephanie K. Burnham
Nothing about your question is easy. If you truly would like to be involved in the Probate of your Mothers estate you should hire a lawyer to assist you in asserting yourself. If you would like to be vindicated and be heard, unfortunately, it is unlikely you will find what you are looking for through your Mothers estate.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 3/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: