How can I get more help on the naturalization process and becoming legal? 7 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I have an expired visa my parents brought me here when I was 8 yrs old. Our visa B-2 is overstayed and expired. What can I do to become legal in the U.S work, keep going to school etc? I am not planning getting married to a U.S citizen

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
You cannot become naturalized in most cases until you first become a permanent resident. What status do your parents have? The exception to this is if you can somehow derive citizenship from one or both of your parents. Were any of your grandparents citizens? Since you have overstayed for many years your options are likely limited but I would suggest a paid consultation to go over your qualifications, status, possible sponsors, etc. Take a look at the DREAM Act currently being sponsored in Congress as this may help you if it becomes law.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/18/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
It looks like there is no other way.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You can wait for the Dream Act. I know that's a long shot but that is really all you have going for you. You took out the only "option" that could have been a option for you if done in good faith. There is nothing for people like you right now . . . Congress needs to act . . . yesterday. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/15/2011
Law Offices of Iman Abouelazm, P.A.
Law Offices of Iman Abouelazm, P.A. | Iman I. Abouelazm
As simple as your question seems, there are some complex issues involved, such as whether you entered with or without inspection, your parents' status, your country of origin, your current age, etc. You should seek consultation with an attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your situation.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Idiart Law Group
Idiart Law Group | Justin Idiart
Before you can become a citizen, you will need to become a legal permanent resident. I would like to talk with you more about your situation, as it appears you may be able to apply for adjustment of status here in the United States if you have a qualifying relative (parent, sibling, child).
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/14/2011
    Fong & Associates
    Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
    The only way to get U.S. permanent residence is either (1) family-based, (2) employment-based, (3) political asylum or (4) special laws. You say you are not going to marry a USC, then you will need either your parents to become US citizens or you must have an US citizen child and for that child petition for you when they turn 21 years old. These are the only 2 options as you will need a statutory "waiver" for your immigration violations of overstay, unauthorized employment and unauthorized school attendance. There is no waiver for any employment-based petition and labor certification. I do not believe you would qualify for political asylum and there are only very limited special laws. If you don't qualify through US citizen parents or a US citizen child, then you will not be granted permanent residence.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Law Office of Christine Troy
    Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
    Unless you qualify under 245i, the U visa or a similar type of visa, you will have a very difficult time getting a green card in the US. You should get a full consult to determine your options, with a competent immigration attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: