How can I get a list of all my trips outside the us for my citizenship application? 12 Answers as of January 16, 2011

How can I get a list of all my trips outside US for the last 8 years for the citizenship application?

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
The best way is looking at the stamps on your passport.
First of all, you can find the number of entries that are stamped on your I-94 entry visa (which corresponds to your green card), both for entry and return, and you need to track any earlier-used I-94s in the same way. It will show when you left and returned. Otherwise, you'll have to use old plane tickets, or any other records of your travel. If you need assistance preparing your naturalization application, feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone to schedule a consultation. Best to you.
No easy way. Go through any old and current passports and make note of all stamps into other countries or back into the U.S. and set up a chart for yourself. Be as specific as you can but if you have to you can generalize - went to "Mexico three weekends out of four for 2 days each January to June 2007." You can put an asterisk on the form and explain in an addendum.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
See if you can take a calendar for the last five years. I found that this has helped my clients remember events and trips.
Will not the Visa have all of the trips.
    Pauly P.A.
    Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
    You can only look back at the stamps in your passport and other travel information in order to recreate your trips to the best of your knowledge and ability. Most important are your trips during the last 5 years so you should be a accurate as you can for that period of time. For the remaining years give your best estimate.
    Look in your own drawers. USCIS does not have record of it. Good luck!
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    Hopefully from your passport stamps otherwise it's up to you to recall your trips.
    Check the stamps in your old passport(s); ask family and friends and then sit down on your own and do some serious recollection to put it all together.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    For my clients, I usually use this method: Examining all pages of all passport since the person obtained residency, together with a calendar for each year, and asking questions. If you do not have the passport(s), either because the passport(s) was (were) lost or not necessary to travel and you really do not remember, you could file a FOIA request ansd ask for all dates of travel. On some occasions, some of my clients had an approximate date, we wrote the word "Approximate" next to the date. On other occasions, some of my clients did not remember at all the dates for many years and clients are unwillling to pay for a FOIA, we write something like this: SEE ATTACHMENT. On a separate page, we something like this: Client has been travelling every year (or other frequency here) around X-Mas time (or other specific time of the year) for the last 8 years. (indicate time period). This can work well if you did many short travels. For longer trips, it is absolutery necessary to get the date as exact as possible.
    Unfortunately, there is no centralized location or database that records all trips in and out of the U.S. A Freedom of Information Act request to the USCIS and USCBP may get you some of the trips, but there is no guarantee it will indicate all trip. You should review your passport, check your credit card (if you bought plane tickets), and go by want you remember. When answering the questions on the N-400 regarding your trips, do the best you can based on what you remember.
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
    You have to create it yourself. Start by looking at all the entry and exit stamps in your passport and marking them down on a pad of paper, putting them in two columns - entries into the US, and entries into other countries. Then put each column in order and then draw a line between the two columns to connect the trips together. If you don't have your passport, contact your travel agent or pull out your old calendar or appointment books. The responsibility is yours. If you have to guess, do your best in guessing.