How can I get a judgment on my credit card removed? 4 Answers as of January 21, 2013

I have a judgement on my credit report. It was from 2008 from ex who took me to court to claim I owed him rent money. He won the case but never went thru the paper work to set up payments to get the money. He basically told me he want to see if he would have won in the 1 st place. Now with that being said we had a bad falling out and I have not seen him since 2008. How can I get this judgement removed? Does he need to be notified since he has not set up the payments? Thank you for your time.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
Under the federal law you are entitled to request inaccurate information or errors to be corrected or removed by the 3 major credit bureaus Transunion, Experian and Equifax. You can also send in updated information to update your credit history. With respect to the removal of the judgment, I would file a Motion Vacating the Judgment with the court, assuming the judgment has entered. If granted, this will then allow you to submit a cover letter and the supporting documentation to the credit bureaus asking them to update your report. Under federal law they will have 30 days to act and wait for a response. After 30 days has expired the credit bureaus should update the report, assuming they dont hear anything contrary to your request.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/4/2011
Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
Ryan Legal Services, Inc. | Kevin Ryan
you will either have to settle the judgment with him and require that he file a Release with the Court where it is filed (and a Release of Judgment Lien in the County where the judgment may have been recorded). You can file a bankruptcy case and upon discharge the claim will no longer affect your credit score once the claim is reported differently. (as discharged in bankruptcy)
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/4/2011
R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
Unfortunately there is nothing you alone can do to remove the judgment. The fact that it was entered remains regardless of whether he ever attempts to collect it. The only thing you can do is get him to sign a Satisfaction of Judgment, which is a document saying the judgment has been fully satisfied. When that is filed, the judgment will still appear, but so will the satisfaction.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 1/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: