How can I get interstate child custody? 2 Answers as of June 06, 2011

My boyfriend has a son who lives in SC, he lives in CA. He has recently gone to SC with the intention of proving paternity and requesting partial custody. He has a paternity test that was performed but not through the court. His son's mother will not let him see his son even for a visit. What does he need to do besides file for custody through the court and what are his chances of obtaining interstate partial custody? He is willing to stay there if he can get 50/50, but is that a probably outcome?

Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
Since the child lives in SC, the laws of that state will govern the custody and visitation.
Your boyfriend should hire an experienced S.C. Family Law Attorney in the county in which his child resides, to file a Paternity case. That attorney would be the best guide of what your boyfriend's rights would be in a S.C. Paternity case.