How can I get help to deal with my failure to appear warrant? 7 Answers as of March 02, 2011

I found out through a recent background check that I have a warrant for failure to appear in California. I contacted them to see if they had an amnesty program because I now live in Florida and am unable to appear. They stated I need to appear or have my attorney appear. I have zero income and no way to appear all the way in California. I am also unable to obtain a job here with this warrant on me. How can I find a lawyer willing to help with this so I can get rid of the warrant, take care of the bail, and pay an attorney?

You simply have to cough up the money and hire a lawyer. Only a lawyer can appear on your behalf to recall the warrant.
There are no miracles. If the court clerk says an appearance is necessary, an appearance is necessary. If you want to attempt to have the warrant withdrawn you or an attorney will have to have the matter calendared and someone will have to appear. If you cannot afford one and/or can't come back you are probably out of luck. You can try to contact the local public defender's office to see if they could handle it for you but most will not do so until you apply for their services in person.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
Unfortunately there is no way that this can be done without money. There is no such thing as an amnesty program. Fees have to be paid for the outstanding warrant and for your attorney. Where did you get this ticket?
Help? Apply for the Public Defender if you cant afford private counsel. Call the PD office for that court and talk to them. Pro bono criminal defense is what the PD does, paid for by all our taxes. If this is a felony, you must be personally present for every court hearing, with or without an attorney. If a misdemeanor, your attorney can appear without you, and paperwork and fines can be handled by mail. Jail time can not.
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
You need an attorney in California to appear for you. Most judges will allow it on an infraction or misdemeanor but almost never on a felony.
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
    You should probably speak with your friends and family to borrow money to retain counsel. It is essential that you are in court or have someone else appear for you or the warrant will not be recalled.

Also, the warrant indicates that there is either a case with charges that you will have to face, or a previous case you have violated the terms of probation on. Appearance can be doneby an attorney in your absence if it is a misdemeanor case (in San Diego).Good luck!
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
    It sounds like you do need to hire an attorney to appear on your behalf and take care of this matter. Is this a traffic case? A misdemeanor? A felony? What court? If I have more information I can tell you how much it would cost. Feel free to contact me privately.