How can I get a green card? 1 Answers as of June 28, 2011

I am 16 years old, I was born in Mexico and I want to get a green card. My sister is 14 years old and she was born here in the US. I wanted to get a green card before I’m 18 years old because I want to be able to go to college and apply for financial aid. Both my parents are not US citizens. If there is a way how long will it take?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
From your description, it does not sound like you have an option at the time. Your sister can sponsor you when she is 21 but you may need to leave the US to obtain the green card and trigger a ten year reentry bar in doing so. You will want to see if you are eligible under 245(i)-which would mean finding out of any relative or employer ever sponsored your parents for any benefit before -4/31/2001 or the U visa program. Also there may be other options. I recommend that you have a consult with a competent immigration attorney. You may want to try the local chapter of your state bar for the free legal panel or else contact a non-profit that focuses on rights for Mexican citizens because they should have strong referrals for good immigration attorneys!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: