How can I get full custody when the child is being verbally abused and acting out on it? 8 Answers as of January 15, 2014

My child and I live with her father at this time, trying to get out as soon as possible. I have a copy of reports of child abuse. CPS was involved I called them because he left a mark on her arm from throwing her off of him. She flat out told CPS that she didn't feel safe around her father. Right now I have no place to go if I leave. I have family and friends who have seen him be abusive. Do I have enough evidence to get full custody?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
Without knowing the whole case it is hard to say. From what you have written it could go either way or be a joint custody situation. You could also ask for supervised visitation.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/15/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You have a strong argument to get protective orders from the court. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/15/2014
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
Move out-even if you have to go to a shelter. File for custody and child support.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/15/2014
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
In Ohio, if you and the father were never married, you already have full custody of the child by default. Father would need to file paperwork at court to get any time with the child.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/15/2014
Arthur David Malkin, Attorney at Law | Arthur Malkin
You should seek domestic violence counseling and go to a shelter if you are unsafe. They can assist you in finding temporary housing for you and your child so you can maintain custody. Also you can seek out a restraining order removing the father from the home.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 1/15/2014
    Paul H. Belanger, P.C. | Paul H. Belanger
    Must file Motion and have expert evidence from therapist.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/15/2014
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    The longer you stay, with your child, in this abusive relationship, the weaker your bid for custody. get out now.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 1/15/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Custody, what you need is to get a protective order keeping him away from you and your child. Make him move out until you are set up. Go to court now and ask for the protective order.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/15/2014
Click to View More Answers: