How can I get estate asset protection? 14 Answers as of October 04, 2013

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Nevada has the best asset protection trust in the country. Some other states have legislation, too. If you use a Nevada trust, you can have your assets protected two years after transferring them into the trust and still maintain control of them.
Christine Sabio Socrates Attorney at Law | Christine Socrates
That question is too general to answer. I recommend you talk to a qualified estate planning attorney who can properly evaluate your particular situation and recommend an asset protection plan for you.
Gottlieb & Goren, P.C.
Gottlieb & Goren, P.C. | Aaron W. Goren
From whom or what are you seeking protection?
The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
I have no idea as to what you are referring.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
A very complicated question involving substantial legal work by an expert. Here's an answer that I hope doesn't seem too flip: if you don't want to spend the legal fees to afford professional asset protection planning, then you don't have an estate large enough for asset protection to be an issue. And, protection from what? Lawsuits? For everybody other than the One Percent, the answer is, "buy insurance." Buy as much insurance as you're comfortable paying for. The more the insurance company has "on the table," the more serious they are about defending claims against you. Your regular auto and home policies, business insurance if you own a business, and a good umbrella liability policy should be as much protection as you need. If you're worried about "frivolous lawsuits" (much less common than advertised) then the feature of an insurance policy that matters to you is that the insurance company handles the cost of defending against claims. And insurance companies are really good at defending against claims. Obviously my opinion, rather than a legal opinion, but there it is.
    You need to talk with a local estate planning attorney. There are so many questions that need to be asked and so many issues to be addressed that it cannot be answered over the internet. It might be as simple as forming an LLC. It could be as complicated as forming a Cook Island Trust, with a bunch of LLCs. It may be that no matter what you do, you will be at risk. So talk with a local attorney.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C. | Donald Scher
    You get asset protection by using a variety of legal entities, in a concerted, strategic plan to protect your assets from creditors' claim. This requires you to formulate strategic business and personal plans for the long term, which contemplate the risks and your particular goals. You don't "buy" asset protection, like an insurance policy, although some insurance salesmen will tell you that is exactly what you should do. Do not accept as the truth or the only way to protect your assets when the information comes from a commissioned sales person. It is essential that you work with experienced legal counsel and tax advisors.
    Thompson Ostler & Olsen dba Franchise Business Law Group | Brooke Ashton
    There are several ways to protect your assets. Utah has recently revised its Asset Protection Trust statute. The revisions make the statute one of the best domestic asset protection trusts available in the US. There are other ways to try to protect your assets, such as LLCs. You should speak with an estate attorney to design an asset protection plan for your estate.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    Step one: go visit with an attorney specializing in asset protection planning.
    Obtain the assistance of an estate planning lawyer to prepare a trust for you and transfer you assets into the trust; an estate plan should include a trust, a pour over will, power of attorney, advance healthcare directive, and transfer documents into the trust.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    I urge you to speak with an estate planning attorney about what you are trying to achieve and then you can assess your options. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
    You will need a trust fully funded with the assets of your estate.
    Answer Applies to: New Mexico
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    The answer depends on what you mean by asset protection and how far you are willing to go in order to get it. Asset protection requires the assistance of an estate planning attorney. More facts are needed to go beyond this.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Much more information is needed. You need to meet with an estate planning attorney to determine what is best for you and your situation. Make an appointment to discuss your options. At James Law Group we make every effort to respond to you quickly and efficiently. This means we may be responding to you from a mobile device. As you know, responding on these devices can result in typographical errors that my otherwise not occur. In order to provide this extra service, please be aware of this and excuse any errors that may be caused by responding in this forum. The content of this message is protected by attorney-client privilege.