How can I get emergency custody of a child? 3 Answers as of March 02, 2012

The son's mother has been to jail 3 times in a year and is in jail now for not paying a ticket for 2010. One of the times she was arrested for drugs. Her room mate has taken pictures of her room and the grugs that she has found and still has in the house and her van because of how nasty it is. I need to know the first step to getting emergency custody and what are the odds of the father getting custody of his son?

Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
You need to file an emergency petition for custody in Juvenile Court in the county in which the child resides.
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
You don't say who you are with respect to the child.I will presume you are the child's father. You can file in family court and ask for custody. Present your evidence which should include information of mother going to jail, and if the roommate is willing her testimony about drugs in the home. Overall you need a lawyer to guide you through the process.
I would say the odds are high on the limited facts that you give. Courts do not tolerate drugs around kids. Custody can easily be based on those factual allegations if proven. The first step is to get an attorney.