How can I get a divorce if I cannot find my ex? 18 Answers as of February 27, 2011

I haven’t seen my spouse in almost 4 years 3 months after we were married. How can I get a divorce from him when no one can find him?

There is a procedure called an order of notice where the court can order notice at the last known address or in a newspaper. Please contact us if you wish to discuss further; we have a free initial consultation. Good luck.
Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
It is possible to file divorce in the county you live and serve him by publication. Service by publication is a pain, a significant increase in expense, and generally not very successful at notifying the person you are filing against. Nevertheless, it should be legally sufficient to get you a divorce.

Each court has its own customs and procedures with respect to service by publication, so my advice would be to find an attorney who is experienced dealing with the process in the court you want to file in.
In such a case, you may be able to file an affidavit demonstrating your search for the individual and seeking court permission to serve the divorce petitoin by alternative service (usually publication). In such a manner, you may be able to conclude the divorce without your spouse's actual service of papers or presence.
Retain an experienced Family Law Attorney, who can hire a private investigator to diligently search for your husband, and if he is unable to locate your husband in a diligent search, he'll provide your attorney a Declaration to support an application to allow service on your husband by publication.
Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP
Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP | Hal D. Bartholomew
It is possible to obtain a divorce if you can not find him. You must show good faith efforts to locate him. If the Judge determines you have made the proper efforts, the court can order that the summons be published in a newspaper for a defined period of time. After that the Judge will be able to grant a dissolution and restore you to the status of being unmarried after the 6 month waiting period has occurred. You should consult with an attorney regarding this process or with the local Family Court Facilitator at your local courthouse.
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
    When a defendant/respondent cannot be found after a diligent search, that defendant/respondent can be served by publication in a newspaper, after obtaining an Order by the court for permission to do so. This is a common practice, but does require a legal proceeding. Then, the case will proceed by default, after all the court required procedures are accomplished. Bottom line is, you can obtain a divorce, and divide the community without the respondent.
    You will likely have to hire an attorney to use a process server to attempt to serve him at his last address repeatedly and when that doesn't work, you'll have to make a Motion in Court to ask for Service by Publication and then take out a legal notice in a few local newspapers for a period of time. That's how jurisdiction is obtained over him and then you can go through with the rest of the divorce. Good luck.
    If you have made a diligent effort to locate him for personal service and have not been able to locate him, you may accomplish notice to him by publication. The Supreme Court Self-Help website has instructions and forms explaining that procedure. Service by publication will permit granting the divorce, but will limit what else the court might otherwise do concerning financial issues.
    Service by publication may be appropriate. I can help you with this. Please contact me for a free consultation.
    Law Office of Tim W. Avery
    Law Office of Tim W. Avery | Tim W. Avery
    Yes, you can get a divorce. After a diligent search and you still cannot locate him, you can then have him serve by publication.
    You have to do a publication if you cannot find your spouse.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    It is still possible. We will have to jump through the hoops and get a court order allowing us alternate service and then Default him. Have an attorney assist you or get help at the Court Facilitator's office.
    You need to get a court order to serve him by publication. Call a local family law lawyer who can explain the details of that process.
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC | Lori C. Obenauf
    In Georgia, after due diligence has been exercised to locate your husband, you can ask the Court's permission to serve him by publication (publishing a notice in the legal organ of the county in which you are filing once a week for 4 weeks). The Court will grant you a divorce after your husband has been served by publication.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    You would need to petition the court to allow you to do service by posting it in the newspaper or on certain internet websites. If he does not respond after that the Court more than likely will grant you the divorce as asked for in your divorce petition.