How can I get custody of my niece and nephew if I am 17 years of age? 2 Answers as of June 08, 2011

My niece and nephew of ages 7 and 6 are in foster care . I want to know if it's possible for me to get custody of them if I'm 17. If so what do I have to do to get custody of them ? Do I have to wait until i turn 18 to get custody of them?

Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
If you are emancipated you may be able to petition the court for guardianship over your niece and nephew. Otherwise your parents would need to seek custody until you are age 18. You should consult with an attorney concerning the specifics of your case.
You cannot get custody of them, as you are not their parent, however you can get guardianship (which is the same thing for your purposes) if you are emancipated and can prove to the court that you can care for them financially and emotionally.notify us by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission.