How can I get custody of my grandbchild in California? 10 Answers as of January 14, 2011

I like to know how I can get custody of my grandbaby to add her to my health insurance in California.

Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
You would need to obtain the consent of the parents to obtain custody of your grandchild. In the event that the parents are deceased or unable to care for her, you can file a guardianship action.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
I have reviewed your case information and I can help you with your need to have custody of your Granddaughter. We can establish a Guardianship, which is probably what is required by the insurance company in order to have medical insurance coverage available.

Since documents have not been filed with the court it is very important that we speak as soon as possible, so I can evaluate your problem, and if hired protect all of your interests.

You may find some helpful information on my website.

The best way to contact me for an immediate response is for you to call, which will contact me directly anytime any day (24/7).
Your question is far too complex to answer in an e-mail. You need to call an experienced Family Law/Dependency Attorney. There are some limited circumstances in which a grandparent can obtain custody (Guardianship) of a grandchild, but you need a free consultation to discus the specific circumstances of your situation and your options.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
This can be done but it is a somewhat complicated process. You will have a very high burden to prove that the parents are unfit and can no longer care for their children. I would recommend contacting an attorney or social services such as child protective services to obtain help.

Feel free to call our office if you have any further questions.
You will need the consent of both parents.
    A grandparent cannot get "custody" of a minor child, but may be able to obtain guardianship of a minor child, and may possibly be able to adopt the minor child if the parents agree to the adoption. Are you really seeking custody? You can purchase a private health insurance policy for your grandchild, but you will probably not qualify to add your grandchild to health insurance coverage that you have through your employment, which would likely limit coverage to you, your spouse and your minor children.
    In California, only parents of children are entitled to custody. If neither parent is capable of caring for the child, then grandparents (or other capable parties) can apply for guardianship. If it is the goal of both parents to do so to allow for the grandparents to provide health insurance for the child, then temporary guardianship can be by agreement.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    Either by written agreement from the parents in a guardianship capacity or through the courts by proving it is not in the best interests of the children to be with either of their parents. Call an attorney and get the specifics.
    You need to get a court order for custody. It would be difficult to explain the entire process via an email. However, feel free to contact my office to discuss not only the legal process, but the facts of your case related to your desired custody.