How can I get custody of my daughter? Posted on June 08, 2011

I divorced my daughter's mother over 3 years ago when my daughter was only 7 months old. That was because my wife came home at 6 in the morning high on cocaine. This is when I called the New York state police, moved to my own apartment, and filed for divorce. Up until then she was breast feeding my baby. Now I help out all week with taking care of my daughter during the day while her mother works then I go to work at night. The only day I don't see her is on Sundays. My ex-wife said since I am with my daughter all week long, basically as much as she is with her mother that all I need to do is pay for her school which I have been doing. Now I have been in a serious relationship for the last 5 months. Although we have been great friends for the last 2 1/2 years, my ex-wife has been very angry since hearing this news. I don't believe that's fair at all. She has made my life miserable, I have gone from seeing my daughter all week long to just once a week now. The worst part of all is that the day I finally get to see my baby she says to me that mommy told her I spit in mom's face and she was crying. This is when I felt my heart no longer. I have been so sad that her mother would lie to my 3 year old daughter and tell her that I spit in her mothers face. What are my chances on fighting in court for my daughter's full custody so I can get her out of danger? I know that my ex-wife still does cocaine and smokes pot. I have a stable home, my girlfriend has been a high school teacher for over 8 years and I have been a banker for almost 13 years. My ex-wife is not married and lives at home with her parents who she is constantly fighting with everyday in front of my daughter. I know I need a lawyer which I will get, but I kind of want to know what you suggest I do and what steps to take first. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: