How can I get custody of my 2 sons if the mother is willing to give me custody but lives in Mexico? 2 Answers as of July 14, 2011

What do I have to do in order to get the right paper work done? Is a notarized letter from the mother in Mexico saying she gives me custody valid in court in the U.S.?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Donaldson Stewart, PC
Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
You did not indicate whether there are currently orders in place or where the children are currently located. These facts are relevant in determining the appropriate process; however, generally speaking, you and the mother may be able to sign an appropriate stipulation for custody/parenting time to file in the court here and obtain the appropriate orders. The fact that she resides in Mexico may not affect the process so long as you are able to obtain her notarized signature on the documents. I recommend you speak with an attorney to discuss your best course of action.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 7/14/2011
Palomino Law Firm, P.C.
Palomino Law Firm, P.C. | Debra Palomino
To secure your parental rights, you should file a paternity action declaring that you are the father and request custody rights. The mother can execute a stipulation confirming you are the father and agreeing to either joint or sole custody of the children. Until then, yes, you should have a written document signed by the mother, and notarized.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 7/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: