How can I get a copy of the discovery of my case? 13 Answers as of April 11, 2011

My boyfriend & I were co-defendants in a case but we had different court dates. How can I get a detailed copy like the one his lawyer gets of discovery and/or transcripts?

By requesting it from your attorney, who can get it from the DA.
Your attorney will need to obtain it after he makes his or her first appearance.
Ask you attorney. Sometimes names and other identifying info needs to be redacted but you are otherwise entitled to it.
You can't. The discovery/transcript will only be given to lawyers.
Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas
Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas | Thomas Ogas
Your lawyer can obtain a full copy at your court date, just like he got. If you hire a lawyer before your court date, your lawyer can contact the District Attorney and ask for a copy, or possibly get a copy from your boyfriends attorney. Dont worry. Youll soon get your copy.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    Your criminal defense attorney should be able to provide you with a copy of the discovery in your case. If you do not have a criminal defense attorney, you should immediately hire one as this is the only way you will obtain the best possible result on your case. If you cannot afford to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney then you can request to have the public defender represent you and they should be able to provide you with a copy of your discovery. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
    You can request one after your arraignment. Your attorney can give you a redacted copy.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Your lawyer should have the same discovery- or ask his attorney!
    The Law Offices of Michael S. Berg
    The Law Offices of Michael S. Berg | Michael Berg
    Contact your lawyer. He or she should be able to get you the same set of discovery your boyfriend has. Good luck.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Your attorney should get it just like his attorney did. If they're not, there's a problem. If you're asking if you can just get a copy yourself... that's another story. Your lawyer may have tactical reasons for not wanting to give you copies as well as ethical and legal reasons they may not be able to turn it over to you (at least not without redacting witness information).