How can I get a company that I owe $6000 to negotiate with me? 6 Answers as of November 22, 2013

About a year ago I signed up with a company who was supposed to help me start an online business. They implied that it was a very lucrative opportunity. After I got involved in it, I discovered that they were less than truthful about the amount of opportunities and the amount of money could be made. I already have paid them about $6,000. And do not wish to continue to pay them. I have attempted to contact them and negotiate the debt, but they have not returned my calls or e-mails. To make matters more complicated, the debt is being held by a third company? Is there any way I can get them to negotiate with me? Do I have any legal rights here? How would you suggest I proceed? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
If you start a lawsuit they are likely to start talking.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/22/2013
Davis Law SC | D. Nathan Davis
Online business scams are rampant. If you can make so much money in an online business, why not do it yourself rather than selling the business idea to someone else? Every year numerous companies are sued and put out of business. It appears that you may be a victim of a scam, but, it is hard to tell that from the limited facts you have given. A good indicator is if the company is not willing to talk with you, then it may be a scam. You should contact the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs to file a complaint and also contact the Federal Trade Commission and file a complaint with it also. Before investing in any further ventures, do your homework by checking with both of these agencies to see if any complaints have been filed against the company. Try to find out who owns the company and/or who the major stockholders might be. You talk to an attorney to see if the attorney believes that your money can be recovered by suing the company.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 11/20/2013
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
This sounds like a franchise business opportunity. You can probably sue them for violations of the Michigan Consumer Protection Act (which was amended several years ago to include such causes of action) Please contact an attorney familiar with the Act for more information.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/20/2013
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
What are you trying to negotiate? Getting money back? Not paying any more money? Your question is unclear. If they misrepresented what you were buying into you can sue them and that will definitely get them into a more negotiable mood.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 11/21/2013
Marc S. Stern
Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
You really need counsel. What you are describing is fraud. Talk to the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division and the Federal Trade Commission.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 11/20/2013
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    You need to have an attorney review the documents as soon as possible. Some of the statutes of limitation applicable may be as short as one year. A complaint to the Attorney General may also be helpful.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 11/20/2013
Click to View More Answers: