How can I get the child custody arrangement that I want? 5 Answers as of August 27, 2015

I am currently pregnant 8 months. The father wants half custody. I am open to visitation i.e. every other weekend, once during the week, and alternating holidays. But I am not comfortable with 50/50. He works on call and his schedule and income is therefore unpredictable. He lives with his parents and his father is an alcoholic. His parents support him. They also rent out two of their rooms to strangers. The first 4 months of my pregnancy he pressured me to abort. We were never married nor did we live together. He has no experience at all with children. He doesn’t want to pay for child support at all. He is 21 and I am 35. I do not work. I am a fulltime college student in my last year. I did rent a one bedroom apt to prepare for my new arrival. I will be living with my daughter alone. I do have experience with children. I support myself. I am currently going to counseling to help me with all this. I did try to negotiate child support and he said I couldn’t make him pay if he didn’t have a job. I tried to negotiate numerous times. In addition, I did offer him the above visitation arrangement and he still harps about wanting 50/50. What can I use in my favor to get sole custody and give him this visitation? Is there anything I can use against him?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
You give a number of reason why he should not get too much time with the child. Each parent should have an opportunity to spend time with there child; but it also revolves around the best interests of the child and a parent's availability; and his support person pluses and minuses. His parenting abilities and the environment where he would have the child is a very large factor, especially if he is unable to support himself. You at least have the fact that you are currently in college and will be graduating within the year, showing your ability to provide better for the child both emotionally and financially. He will also be obligated to support the child based upon his ability to earn. He may be seeking 50/50 to try and avoid that obligation. I could go on, and it probably is not feasible for you to be represented by retained counsel, but consulting with a knowledgeable and experienced attorney could help put things in prospective.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/27/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Let me state the obvious; YOU NEED A SKILLED MATRIMONIAL (FAMILY) lawyer. As to child supports: you can probably get a 'seek work' order under which he has to show at least N (OFTEN 5) applications each week. As to limit ding his access to the baby: The facts you mention could well be enough to keep from much placement with the child. .But work with a good lawyer. It can make all the difference.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/25/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
This matter is going to be finally decided in court if you cannot agree, therefore I would suggest that you engage an attorney to represent and counsel you. It is not unusual for men in his position to threaten they will claim full or joint custody when they are faced with the prospect of paying child support. Child support will be ordered, at least in a minimal amount, regardless of the fact that he is currently unemployed. His chances of receiving joint physical custody of a infant is relatively low.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/25/2015
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
If you were never married he does not have any rights to visitation until he files for legitimation in court. As it stands you have nothing to worry about.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/25/2015
Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
I can help you. He should not get more than 2-3 hrs a day visitation a coupled times a week-especially if you are breastfeeding. The visitation he is asking for would not be considered usually till the child is older.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 8/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: