How can I get car insurance at a lower rate if I have a DUI on my license? 27 Answers as of May 27, 2011

How can I get car Insurance at a lower rate if I have a DUI on my license?

The Law Firm of David Jolly
The Law Firm of David Jolly | David Jolly
No easy answer for that. However, call around as some insurance companies will not penalize you as much as others do. Honestly though, it's unlikely you'll find lower insurance rates if you have a recent DUI.
Law Office of Michael Moody
Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
You just need to shop around.
That depends on your insurance company. Almost all insurance companies consider you at risk if you have a DUI conviction. Some of the independent insurance companies may be able to broker you cheaper insurance with different companies with less coverage or higher deductibles. Check with your insurance company to see if an alcohol treatment program or driver awareness course will help with your premiums.
There are many insurance companies online and they will give you a quote based on your age, record, accidents, geographic area, and other factors. If you can get your parents to add you to their insurance that would be a lot less. State Farm is a very god company, Geico is actually more than most of the online companies, but they are very fast and efficient. If you drop all the extras like car rental, and just get basic collision with a $1,000 deductible the insurance will be a few hundred dollars cheaper or even a thousand dollars a year cheaper. Your city will determine the cost to a great extent. Manhattan is three times more expensive than Buffalo, Plattsburgh is half of what the Buffalo rate is. If you insure a very inexpensive car the cost will be less. A new car is more expensive than a used car. Call the insurance companies and deal with them directly, that will save the fee of the insurance agent, or about $150 dollars or more a year.
I know of no way that can be done except by waiting at least three - five years without getting another. Good luck.
    Other than shopping around for the best rate, I don't know what to tell you. Stay well.
    You have to discuss this with your insurance agent, this is not a proper question for this forum. I do know that for at least 4 years, if you have been revoked but have your license back, you will need to carry financial responsibility insurance.
    The simple answer is you can't. A DUI stays on your insurance record for three years. Thanks to the DUI you also have to carry SR-25 high risk insurance during that time, The only way to reduce insurance costs is to reduce coverage or drive a less valuable vehicle. Married people save on insurance as well. Plus if you keep a 3.0 GPA that would qualify you for a discount.
    I would suggest you shop online for the best available deal.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    You'll have to shop around. Some carriers specialize in "difficult" insurance situations - prior DUIs, accidents, etc. Your attorney (if you had one) may have a referral to a local insurance company that can work with you. I don't know where you live, but if it's in/near Orange County, I can give you a referral if you'd like.
    By shopping around different companies and accepting higher deductibles.
    There may be some courses you can take, check with your insurance company.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    It is unlikely that there is much that you can do in the immediate future if you have been convicted. Once you have satisfied the terms of your sentence and sufficient time has passed, you can begin expungement proceedings to have your records erased and sealed which should help with insurance issues. Assuming that you have only been convicted of misdemeanor DWI, all of the records associated with your arrest and conviction should be expungeable.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    Call around until you find the best rate. There is no legal solution.
    Insurance companies set their own rates, you will need to compare companies and coverages. There are no magic answers to your question.
    Thank you for your inquiry. Your question is one for the insurance agent, and not necessarily an attorney. You may inquire by phone or inquire on the internet for more information. Mention my name for personal service.
    It may depend on how old the DUI is. The only way to get a better rate is to price shop other insurance companies or wait until your driving record becomes cleaner. DUI's can and do cause a drastic increase in the cost of car insurance. If you want further information, contact us.