How can I get the bank to remove a lien after a chapter 13 discharge? 9 Answers as of September 02, 2015

My second mortgage was stripped during a chapter 13. I successfully completed all my payments, received the all discharge notice from the court and several months have gone by. But my second mortgage is still registered to my house with the county clerk.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
You need to record the order stripping off the lien. Get a certified copy from the court and take that to the recorders office. Sorry for the delay in answering.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/2/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
You need to get an order from the bankruptcy court stating the lien is released. ?Since your case is closed, it will cost you $260 to reopen it.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/25/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Did you get a lienstripping order? If not, then your lien was not removed by your bankruptcy? If you do have a lienstripping order, get a copy of this order certified by the bankruptcy court clerk, and also get a certified copy of your discharge order. Record both of these documents with the real estate recorders office in the county where the property is located.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/25/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
If your lawyer did the motion and order right, then all s/he needs to do is file a certified copy of the Order stripping the lien with the Register of Deeds for your County. Check with the lawyer about the proper form and what words must appear in a document filed with the Register of Deeds.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/25/2015
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Send a demand letter. If the bank does not respond file a motion for contempt with the bankruptcy court.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/25/2015
    Eranthe Law Firm
    Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
    Was the lender properly served? Was the order recorded? Have you sent them a copy of the order? If they fail to cooperate speak with your attorney about the next steps. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
    You have to take the order form bankruptcy court stripping the line to county clerk,, they will record it and you will be done.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    The method should have been in the orders entered by the court. Contact your attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    See a bankruptcy lawyer, if the second was indeed stripped what your seek should be possible, but the devil is always in the details which must be reviewed to form a reasoned and valid advise.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: