How can I get an eviction extension? 8 Answers as of January 16, 2013

I have 2 children with disibilities and I have no money. I need more time and don't know what to do. I have no where to go.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Peter Holzer | Peter Holzer
You need to see local government (city and county). There are programs for people with disabilities.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/16/2013
Davis Law SC | D. Nathan Davis
Attend the hearing before the Magistrate after you file your response to the eviction. Sometimes you will get extra time to get out. Also, be sure to contact an agency such as Legal Aid who may be able to represent you for free and also obtain you more time to stay if you are entitled to extra time.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 1/14/2013
Greenbaum, Nagel, Fisher & Paliotti LLP | Stephen A. Greenbaum
You should ask the court for an order delaying the eviction. Courts will usually grant them if there is good reason.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/14/2013
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Landlords will normally entertain an extension if there is a date certain for the move out. If you can not give that then the Landlord will proceed with the eviction.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/14/2013
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal | Sandeep G. Agarwal
There are usually free legal clinics available wherein they will advise you on how to proceed and what to do to buy more time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/13/2013
    Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
    Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
    You have a "Catch-22" because you need money for someone to prepare and file a hardship motion for an extension of time; however, courts have the discretion to grant the extension or not. Your best bet is to find a friend or family to stay with temporarily until you are able to get your own place. If you are not getting public assistance for your children's disabilities you should look into that immediately.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/13/2013
    Ken Love Law | Kenneth Love
    Call The Legal Aid office in your area. Unfortunately, if rent is not paid, there is little that can be done, but you need to speak to an attorney for your options.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 1/11/2013
    Winnick Ruben Hoffnung Peabody & Mendel, LLC | Daniel N. Hoffnung
    Ask the housing court clerk what to do
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 1/11/2013
Click to View More Answers: