How can I get a 20 year old felony expunged? 3 Answers as of March 30, 2011

Over 20 years ago I received a felony charge of driving while suspended, and it is still on my record. A few weeks back I won a .22 caliber rifle at a banquet as a raffle prize and had to register to keep the gun, but found out that I still have the felony on my record. How can I get this felony expunged from my record so that I can own a firearm? Also, I have received a federal agency ID card for my job and had to have a background check to get the position why wasn't the fact that the felony was still on my record made known to me? What steps do I need to take in order to get this matter sorted out? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harris Law Firm
Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
In Oregon, driving crimes, such as felony driving while suspended convictions, are not eligible for expunction.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 3/30/2011
Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
Unfortunately Driving While Suspended is considered to be a vehicle crime and is not expungeable under Oregon law (ORS 137.225). So although it may be 20 years old, it wouldn't matter if it were 1000 years old, it cannot be removed through the expunction process. The good news is that the more time that passes, the less it tends to matter to anyone. That doesn't help you with your gun rights but it's something.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 3/22/2011
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
Traffic offenses cannot be expunged. ORS 137.225(6). Sorry. It is theoretically possible, but very unlikely, that you could attack the conviction in post-conviction relief. You can also petition for restoration of firearm rights. An attorney could help you with those things.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 3/22/2011
Click to View More Answers: