How can I fix my resident status? 1 Answers as of July 14, 2011

I came to the U.S when I was a year old, I have lived here my whole life; graduated high school, attending college. I recently got married, my husband is a US citizen and we have a 2 year old daughter together. I will be 20 years old pretty soon, and I wanted to know what process I would have to go through in order to become a permanent resident and eventually a citizen.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Have your husband file Form I-130 for you and wait for that form to be approved and sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). When the NVC is ready to process it, they will contact you and request additional information and applications from you and money of course in order to process your immigrant visa. The NVC will then transfer your matter to the appropriate consulate in your country of origin. When the consulate is ready, they will send you an interview date. After the interview, the Consular Officer will let you know whether a waiver is available to you and where to file it. You will need to make an appointment in order to submit the waiver. The waiver needs to be carefully prepared so, for you I recommend that an Attorney do this process for you. It could mean the difference between being allowed a waiver or not. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: