How can I fix my fiance's status who has an expired passport? 7 Answers as of January 09, 2014

My fiance is here with a visa and an expired passport. I want to fix his status once we got married. What steps should I take?

Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
Your fiance should go to his country's consulate in the US to apply to renew his passport. He will need to present his expired passport and possibly fill a form and comply with other requirements.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Your fiance does not need a valid passport as long as the has an alternate official photo ID to verify her identity.
You will need to file an immigrant visa petition of your husband and he will apply for adjustment of status. You can find the required forms and instructions at www.USCIS.gov.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
As long as you are a USA citizen and he entered legally and is otherwise admissible, once you get married, the two of you can file all the required documents to apply for the green card.
Abigail Law Firm, PLLC | Meghan Abigail
Did he enter as a fiance? If so he does not necessarily need an unexpired passport. If he came here otherwise, I recommend consulting with an attorney sooner rather than later. If he is eligible to adjust, he might be fine without the passport, but if he needs to consular process, he will need one. Either way, he should get his situation figured out ASAP. A case gets much more expensive once it goes to Immigration Court, so I always encourage people to be proactive!
    She leaves the country and then you apply for fiance visa.
    Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
    If your fiance entered with a valid visa and you get married, you can file a visa petition for him. At the same time, your fiance can file for adjustment of status. You should consult with an immigration attorney.