How can I fix my boyfriends papers? 6 Answers as of November 14, 2013

I'm 18, he's 23. He is illegal & we've been together for 4 years. He's gotten a ticket before but paid it off right away. But when I was 16 & he was 19 we got pulled over and he was arrested charged with "indecency with a child". Since the law is only to date someone less than 3 years older. He was in jail almost 2 months then sent to Mexico. He's came back illegally again and is here now. I want to get married & fix his papers. would it be possible?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Mulder Law office, PA
Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
Provided that you get married it may be possible to reopen his removal case and apply for a waiver. However, it would be necessary to look at the statute that he was charged and convicted under to make sure. They are difficult because the law leaves a judge no discretion in many cases. I suggest you find a very experienced immigration attorney who also knows criminal law to assist you.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/13/2013
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You need to meet with an attorney and discuss it. From the facts that you presented though, it seems that your boyfriend maybe subjected to a permanent bar.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/14/2013
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
Since he came back after being deported or "sent to Mexico", he has triggered the permanent bar. What it means is that he has to go back to Mexico for 10 years before he can come back on your petition. At that time, he will still need a waiver if he was deported. (He may also need a criminal waiver depending on the criminal statute he was convicted under). I do recommend that you see a competent attorney to explore other ways to help you including but not limited to U.S. visa if he was a victim of a crime.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/13/2013
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
No, do not waste your money. First, he probably has a ten year bar to his applying. Second, even if they allowed him to apply, he has a criminal record. Third, if he gets caught, he will go to federal prison for a year.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/13/2013
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
His illegal re-entry is a significant issue. He cannot seek an immigrant visa until he has left the U.S. and remained outside the country for at least 10 years.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/13/2013
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    If your boyfriend reentered the country illegally after having been unlawfully present in the U.S. in excess of one year, he is banned or inadmissible to the United States for a period of ten years without any waivers available to him. Thus, he must return to Mexico for at least 10 years before he will be permitted to come back.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 11/13/2013
Click to View More Answers: