How can I find out what purchase was made by spouse with our joint checking account? 10 Answers as of January 15, 2014

I have not nor do I plan to file for divorce I just have a question and I didn't know what category this would fall into. I have a joint checking account with my spouse. A check was written to a car dealership for over $25,000 by my spouse. I have a copy of the check and it was deposited by the dealership. If I take the check to the dealership what information if any do they have to tell me about this transaction. If the spouse purchased a vehicle and put the title in someone else's name is the dealership able to give me the name or is there problems with privacy issues? How can I find out what was purchased?

James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
Just go to the dealership with the check and ask them.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
The simple solution is to ask your wife.
Ask your spouse. You know the check was written, you know to whom it was written. Ask why. If for a lover, you may want to consider divorce.
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I am not sure whether the dealership would have to tell you anything about the transaction was paid for out of your joint account, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. My guess is that if you play your cards right and don't act suspicious, the dealership will give you a copy of everything associated with the purchase. You could honestly go to the dealer and say," my husband and I need a copy of the paperwork associated with the purchase he made at your dealership back on (this is where you mentioned the date on the check)."
The dealer will probably tell you but you might attempt to communicate with your spouse.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    Go to your bank and get a copy of your bank reconciliations for whatever months you question.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    You may have to have an Attorney but if you present this to them the bank in a joint account should be asked to look into a transaction of this size.
    Lawyer for Indie Media
    Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
    I think you need to speak in person with a lawyer. You have a right to know what purchases are being made from a joint checking account and if your spouse is not being honest with you, you do need a lawyer. Although you say you randomly chose the divorce category, I'd say your subconscious mind is telling you what may lie ahead. If a spouse is spending very large amounts of money without communication with the other spouse, the relationship is usually not sustainable. You need a lawyer to keep more marital assets from being removed this way. Sometimes, when a person is planning a divorce, they will begin to spend down marital assets and build up personal assets. Sometimes they will transfer marital assets to a third party. If your spouse is buying a car for a new lover, you need to know Talk to a lawyer as soon as possible.
    What was purchased is kind off obvious, I do not believe he paid, or was charged, $25,000.00 for an oil change! You may be able to obtain all the information relevant to the purchase, i.e. make, model, color, things of that nature, when it gets to names and addresses you may get resistance, then again you may not. They could refuse to give you any information since you are not the contracting party, your spouse is, so in reality they could refuse all your request, and there is very little you could do. There is no pending legal action so they may not feel compelled to corporate with you. If there was a legal action and you could show that the information you seek is relevant to you'r matter a court would definitely so order, such as a divorce. It would be a no brainer for a judge to order all that information produced either during discovery, or under subpoena. But again, with no underlining legal premiss whats your need to know? You just want to, because you'r name was on the account also? His is also, and he wrote the check not you, so not a good reason. Not being smug, it's just the reality, so I would say you have a 50/50 shot of them giving you some information, or possibly all you request, if you never ask, you never get!
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    They don't have to give you information without a subpoena or court order.