How can I find out my son’s social security number? 6 Answers as of February 25, 2013

I have a son with an ex-girlfriend and I am the biological father. I pay monthly child support through the ORS. I am court ordered to claim him every other year for tax returns, but I don’t have his SSN and his mother is a horrible person and does not have any respect for anything and anyone, so asking her is not an option. I have asked the ORS and they recommended me to go to the health department, so I did and they told me they can’t give me a copy of his birth certificate because my name is not on it nor did I ever sign for anything such as. I am his biological father, I have all copies of court papers for settlements and child support. What should I do and where should I go? Please.

WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
If there is a court order that makes a determination that you are the father, take that order to the health department and get your name added to the birth certificate. Then take a certified copy of the birth certificate to Social Security and ask for his number.
You can file a motion to receive this information.
You have the problem that most people in your position end up with, the state came after you for support because she is on some form of state support, i.e. food stamps, medical, something, once these women apply for aid the state wants to know who the father is so they can recoup some of the money the state puts out for those benefits, so she points the finger at you and either you admit to paternity or they have you do a DNA, once you are determined to be the father then they work up a guideline for support, and that is it, the state cannot represent her for anything else, i.e. custody, placement, and visitation, now you may have been given a limited order by the court for the tax deduction but there is so much more that needs to fixed here it will take a while. First you will not get any help from any agency because all you have is an order for support, you need to file a separate petition with the family court, to establish custody, placement, and visitation, along with that petition you will need to file a motion to have your name placed on the birth certificate forthwith, once orders are entered on those issues then you will have an easier time getting info. At that time you can ask the court through your motion that she give you the child's SS# if she does not once you put your name on the birth record you can take that to the SS administration along with the court order as to custody and they should help you. Also you will have to have her sign off every year you take the child with a form 8825 to the IRS if not and you take the deduction and she also does the IRS will side with her.
McGuire Law Offices | John Smitten
Ask the mother if she will not comply then do interrogatories.
Haskell Law Firm | Lori Haskell
Try going to a social security office and showing them your documents that state you have joint legal custody.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    Go to court and get your name put on his birth certificate and get her court ordered to give you his social security number. Or try to get it through discovery. She also needs to sign the IRS form giving you the right to claim him.