How can I find out if my record is sealed? 4 Answers as of July 28, 2011

I was convicted of attempted grand larceny (ATT GL3 Attempted Grand Larceny) in NYS back in 1997...I did 5 years probation...I've held 3 jobs since then and I'm certain background checks were performed. I was told by my probation officer at the time that my record would be sealed since it was my first offense. How can I find out if my record is in fact sealed?

You can contact the court clerk to see if the record is sealed.
Your record was only sealed if you got Youthful Offender Treatment or some other sealed conviction. You can get a Certificate of Disposition from the clerk of the court as to what the conviction was, but that will not tell you what record you have. There are many websites that will run a record check on you for a small fee of about $40 so that you will be able to see what shows up as far as convictions.
I do not believe that your record is sealed. If you were given youthful offender treatment then your conviction was probably vacated so you were never actually convicted after all. Otherwise, you've got a felony record and it will never be sealed.
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
The right person to speak with is the Clerk of the Court where the disposition took place. So if the case was a Bronx case you must go to the Bronx Criminal Court Clerk. Bring ID, as well as any court docket numbers, or papers from probation. Ask the clerk to run a check of your records to see if the matter was sealed. Criminal cases do not get sealed unless you were under 19 years of age (at the time of arrest), and were granted youthful offender.