How can I find out if my mother has a will or not? 5 Answers as of December 09, 2014

My mother who I've been taking care of just passed away. I have two sisters that are now interested in my mother's house ad her things. I do not know if she made a will. How do I find out?

Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
If your mother had an attorney, check with the attorney. Or your mother's will may have been lodged with the probate court in the county where she lived. Check with the Superior Court Probate Clerk. Last, check to see if she had a safe deposit box. However, if your name is not on the box, you will need a court order to access the box. If it is determined that your mother did not have a will, you and your siblings will share equally in her estate, which includes her home. Contact a probate attorney to protect your interest in the estate.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
Search her home. Check with her lawyer. Particularly look where she had her important papers. See if your sisters know.
Search every conceivable place in her residence, bank records retained. If you do not find a will, contact a probate attorney who can assist you in probating her estate, and making the proper distributions of the estate assets.
I am sorry for your recent loss. You will need to search your mother's house for important papers. Did you mother have an attorney? You could contact the attorney. If you cannot find a will, if you are in California, someone will need to file for probate before anyone can take anything from the house.
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
If she did not tell you, and you cannot find one, you have to assume she did not make one. Have an attorney check title to see if there may have been a trust, otherwise file a Petition for Probate and be prepared to share her estate with your sisters.